List of countries
Travel in Europe
Travel in Africa
Travel in Asia
Travel in Europe :
Travel in France
Travel in Belgium
Travel in Finland
Travel in Germany
Travel in Asia :
Travel in America :
Ooaj Travel Guide, tourism, hotel reservation, residence, plane, cheap pension for you holidays in thimphu
Free Travel guide Ooaj.com A free travel guide for holidays. Hotels in thimphu, Bed and Breakfast!
Thimphu (population 55,000) is in the capital of the Kingdom of Bhutan.
Although the Thimphu valley has supported small settlements for many centuries and a dzong has existed there since 1216, the city didn't really develop until the king declared Thimphu the new capital in 1961. Vehicles first appeared on the streets a year later, and slowly the city began to fit the role as the nation's capital. Currently the town is under going massive development. New tree-lined streets are being layed and the clock tower area in the center of the city has been transformed into a park-cum-open theater where live cultural performances take place. The area around the dzong and government buildings is a particularly green and attractive district.
The winters are very cold in Thimphu, with temperatures often dipping as low as -10°C, while the summers are wet and humid. Therefore, the best times to visit are September, October and from March to May.
Nearly all visitors arrive via plane from Paro, the country's sole airport, a two-drive drive from the capital.
All inter-district buses arrive and and depart from the city's bus station, located across the river from the city center.
The city center is small enough to negotiate on foot. Taxis can be hired for travelling to the suburbs. The city also has an efficient, albeit infrequent, public bus service.
- The Folk Heritage Museum located behind the National Libray on Chhopel Lam allows visitors a peek into the traditional rural life of Bhutan. Open Mon-Fri 10:30AM to 4:30PM, Sat 10:30Am to 1Pm and Sun 11:30AM to 3:30PM.
- Janguka Temple
- The National Memorial Stupa - located off Jangchhub Lam - a good place to visit in the evening when the locals are doing their evening prayers. The stupa was built in 1974 as a memorial to the third king.
- The Textile Museum on the main street, Norzim Lam, has a display of exquisite Bhutanese textiles from the 1600s to the present day.
- Trashi Chhoe Dzong. The present dzong was built in the 18th century by Shabdrung Rinpoche to house government officials. Later it was enlarged to accommodate both the monastic and civil bodies. Three times suffering severe damage from fire and once from an earthquake in 1897, much of the historic building dates from the rebuilding in 1902. To accommodate the national government and the central monastic body, the dzong was totally refurbished and enlarged in 1962, a year after Thimphu was designated the nation's capital.
- Thimphu has an excellent indigenous medical facility, so it is a good place to have any chronic ailments diagnosed and treated using herbal compounds. Ensure to keep the prescription. If the medicine is effective, you might want to order more in the future. Address: The National Institute of Traditional Medicine, Serzhong Lam. Tel:324647. Open 9AM-3PM Mon to Sat and 9AM-1PM on Sat.
- The National Library houses a rare collection of Buddhist texts on the second floor, and there is a small selection of English books on Buddhism (mostly donated from Taiwan) and on Bhutan on the first floor. Address: Pedzoe Lam. Tel:322885. Open 9:30AM - 1PM & 2PM - 5PM Mon to Fri.
- There are many handicraft stores located in the shopping centers in Thimphu - look around for the best value.
- Blue Poppy Bhutanese (PO Box 1296. Tel: 326752) is a handicraft store specializing in woven fabrics and paintings located in the Kawajangsa area of the city, near the indigenous medicine hospital. There are also other handicraft stores in that area - so if you are looking for souvenirs, it is a good place to visit.
- Book World near the clock tower has a good selection of English books, especially on Bhutan and Buddhism. Tel:328539. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
- DSB Books Enterprises in Jojo Building near Druk Hotel has a wide selection of books in English - novels and chidren's books are a speciality. PO Box 435, Thimphu. Tel:326275, 326276. E-mail:email@example.com
- The restaurant on the first floor of Hotel Tandin (on the right side of main street - Norzin Lam - when traveling up the hill) offers delicious Bhutanese and Indian dishes at very reasonable prices.
- Swiss Bakery, Chorten Lam (above the traffic roundabout) - sells sandwiches, pies and other baked items. A good place to stock up on snacks before taking an inter-district bus, especially in the rainy season when the mountain roads are often blocked.
- Hotel Norling - a clean and pleasant facility located on the city's main street (Norzin Lam). All rooms with attached bathroom and TV. Twin - 650Nu. PO Box 327 Norzim Lam, Thimphu. Tel:322997, 323997. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wangchuk Hotel (http://www.wangchuk.com) - a pleasant hotel located near the city center and over looking the river and hills beyond. Sauna, massage and steam bath facilities. Standard single - 1,150Nu, standard double - 1,450Nu. PO Box 507 Changlam 17, Thimphu. Tel:323532, 325484. E-mail: email@example.com
- Hotel Jumohlari (http://hoteljumolhari.com) - a modern facilty in the city center. Massage and rereational facilities. Standard single - 2,000Nu, standard double - 2,500Nu. PO Box 308, Thimphu. Tel:322747, 325506. E-mail:hoteljumolhari.com
- Hotel Druk - a large city center hotel. Health club with massage, sauna, steam facilities. Standard single - 2,000Nu, standard double - 2,500Nu. Tel:322966, 322977. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
- The area code for Thimphu is 02. When calling from overseas. dial: +975 2 XXXXXX
- There are many internet cafes on the main street. One of the best is on the first floor of Hotel Norling, opposite the hotel reception room. Internet cafes in Thimphu are linked to broadband, so connections are swift.
- Tashi Tours and Travels near the clock tower can arrange local tours and international flights. PO Box 423, TCC Building Thimphu. Tel:323361, 323027. E-mail:email@example.com