Ooaj Travel Guide, tourism, hotel reservation, residence, plane, cheap pension for you holidays in burlington (vermont)
Free Travel guide Ooaj.com A free travel guide for holidays. Hotels in burlington (vermont), Bed and Breakfast!
Burlington is the largest city in Vermont with a population of 38,889.
Burlington is served by Burlington International Airport (BTV). Flights arrive via most major carriers daily. Visit http://www.vermontairports.com/.
By car, Interstate 89 runs directly through town. The town center is accessible via exit 14W. Interstate 89 continues North from Burlington to the Canadian border at Highgate, and South to the New Hampshire border.
Generally, it is a 6 hour drive from New York City, a 3.5 hour drive from Boston and a 1.5 hour drive from Montreal.
There is a Greyhound bus terminal on Pine street, just south of downtown. Visit http://www.vermonttransit.com/
The closest Amtrak station is in Essex Junction, about a 15-20 minute drive to the east with daily service between Washington, D.C. and New York City.
Ferry service is available from downtown Burlington to Port Kent, NY across Lake Champlain, this gives access to the Adirondacks area of New York state. See the schedule and rates (http://www.ferries.com/central_schedule.asp).
Downtown Burlington is one of the most walkable and beautiful small cities in New England, and you'd do well to get out of your car and soak it in.
There are car rental offices at Burlington International Airport, including Hertz, Avis and Thrifty. Traffic is generally bad during the normal crunch hours and Williston Road and Shelburne Road are always congested, and, unfortunately, unavoidable for the most part.
Burlington and the surrounding communities of South Burlington, Shelburne, Colchester and Essex Junction are served by the Chittenden County Transportation Authortity (CCTA) which operates public buses. Buses are generally clean, uncrowded and relatively cheap. The main terminal is in downtown Burlington at the intersection of Church St. and Cherry St. Visit http://www.cctaride.org/main.php.
Burlington's downtown is home of an eclectic mix of shops and restaurants, and is well-known for its pedestrian Church Street marketplace. Regular cruise tours of Lake Champlain aboard The Spirit of Ethan Allen II (http://www.soea.com/) leave from Burlington's harbor, also home to ECHO, the lake aquarium and science center.
Go Biking - Burlington has a 7.6 mile bike path that runs along the lake and now connects to the Colchester bike path. For more info check out: http://www.enjoyburlington.com/bikepath.cfm
- Lake Champlain Chocolate is a local chocolate maker. They have a company store and a viewing area to see the chocolate being made. They also have a small coffee bar. http://www.lakechamplainchocolate.com/
- Church Street has many places to eat along this pedestrian mall ranging anywhere from the famous "Hot Dog Lady" street vendor to the New England Culinary Institute. The marketplace maintains its own directory: http://www.churchstmarketplace.com
- Big Daddy's - When you're drunk, or if you're a freshman, get the footlong Oinkin' Gobbler.
- Lee Zachary's Pizza House - 1234 Williston Road, So. Burlington, 802-864-9817
- Leonardo's Pizza - 802-863-8404
- Manhattan Pizza - 167 Main St., 802-658-6776
- Mr. Mike's - 206 Main St., 802-864-0072
- Perry's Fish House - 1080 Shelburne Rd., So. Burlington, 802-862-1300
- Shanty on the Shore - 181 Battery St., 802-864-0238
- China Express - 293 Shelburne Road, 802-865-2155
- Koto Japanese Restaurant - 792 Shelburne Road, So. Burlington, 802-660-8976
- Sakura Japanese Restaurant - 2 Church St., 802-863-1988 1 (http://www.sakuravt.com)
- India House Restaurant - 207 Colchester Ave., 802-862-7800
- Shalimar of India - 16 North Winooski Ave., 802-864-5693
- Bangkok Bistro - 144 Church St., 802-951-5888
- Al's French Fries - 1251 Williston Road, South Burlington, 802-862-9203 2 (http://www.alsfrenchfrys.com)
- Bruegger's Bagel Bakery - 93 Church St., 802-860-1995 3 (http://www.brueggers.com)
- New England Culinary Institute (NECI) Commons - 25 Church St., 802-862-6324 4 (http://www.necidining.com)
- New England Wings - 505 Riverside Ave., 802-658-6399
- Muddy Waters - 184 Main St., 802-658-0466
- Greenstreets - 30 Main St., 802-862-4930 5 (http://www.greenstreetsrestaurant.com)
- Rusty Scuffer - 148 Church St., 802-864-9451
- Uncommon Grounds - 42 Church St., 802-865-6227 6 (http://www.uncommongrounds.net)
- Vermont Soup Company - 1636 Williston Rd., So. Burlington, 802-862-5678
- Windjammer Restaurant & Conference Ctr. - 1076 Williston Rd., So. Burlington, 802-862-6585 7 (http://www.windjammerrestaurant.com)
- Sweetwater's - 118 Church St., 802-864-9800
- Smokejack's - 156 Church St., 802-658-1119 8 (http://www.smokejacks.com)
- Ice House Restaurant - 171 Battery St., 802-864-1800
- Handy's Lunch - 74 Maple St., 802-864-5963
- Three Tomatoes Trattoria - 83 Church St., 802-660-9533
- Coyote's Tex-Mex Cafe - 161 Church St., 802-865-3632 9 (http://coyotestexmex.com)
- Souza Brazilian Restaurant - 55 Main St., 802-864-2433
- New World Tortilla - 10 North Winooski Ave., 802-865-1058
- Five Spice Cafe - 175 Church St., 802-864-4045 10 (http://www.fivespicecafe.com)
- Leunig's Old World Cafe - 115 Church St., 802-863-3759
- Outback Steakhouse - 150 Dorset St., So. Burlington, 802-862-0003 11 (http://www.outbacksteakhouse.com)
- Pacific Rim - 111 St. Paul St., 802-651-3000
- Tortilla Flat - 317 Riverside Ave., 802-864-4874
- The Vermont Pub and Brewery 144 College St., 802-865-0500 12 (http://www.vermontbrewery.com/)
- Akes' Place 134 Church St., 802-864-8111 13 (http://www.akesplace.com/)
- Ri Ra Irish Pub 123 Church St., 802-860-9401 14 (http://www.rira.com)
- Nectar's 188 Main St., 802-658-4771 15 (http://www.liveatnectars.com/)
- Esox - 194 Main St., 802-862-7314
- What Ales You 152 St. Paul St. (on the corner of Main and St. Paul), 802-862-1364
- Ruben James (or simply "RJ's"), 159 Main St., 802-864-0744
- Church Street Tavern 103 Church St., 802-658-1309
- Red Square 136 Church St., 802-859-8909 16 (http://www.redsquarevt.com)
- Three Needs Brewery and Taproom 207 College St., 802-658-0889 Freshly-brewed self and local beers, as well as a small but decent selection of beers on tap. Red felt pool table in the back, and friendly barstaff.
- Sheraton Burlington Hotel & Conference Center 870 Williston Road, (802) 865-6600. 17 (http://sheraton-burlington.felcor.com/) The largest hotel and conference center in the state of Vermont, it is close to businesses and shopping in beautiful downtown Burlington. The hotel is also close to Lake Champlain, Burlington International Airport and many Burlington attractions.
- Wyndham Burlington Hotel 60 Battery Street, (802) 658-6500. 18 (http://burlington.wyndham-hotels.com/) Set in the Lake Champlain area in Burlington, Vermont, the hotel offers vacationers 256 hotel rooms.
- Willard Street Inn 19 (http://www.willardstreetinn.com/) is very close to Champlain College and UVM with views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks.
- Lang House 20 (http://www.langhouse.com/) is a cool alternative to a hotel and is just a short walk down the hill to the Church Street Marketplace.
The Canadian border and Montreal, Quebec, is less than a two hour drive north.